Sumptuous gnocchi with tomato sauce recipe offers sunshine on a plate, serving classic Italian flavors of mozzarella, basil, and tomato for an exquisitely summery dish. If cooking for a special occasion, make the sauce the day before serving and dry out the excess tomato skins- this will add an intensely flavored garnish to add an extra touch of glamour to the dish.
● 300g of Maris Piper potato
● 50g of pasta flour
● 5g of flaky sea salt
● 10g of egg yolk
● 25g of fine semolina
● 500g of cherry plum tomato
● 50ml of extra virgin olive oil
● 30g of spinach
● 8 basil leaves
● 160g of buffalo mozzarella
● 20g of pine nut
● black pepper
1. To start the dish, make the gnocchi. Use a steam oven or traditional steamer to cook the whole potatoes until tender.
2. Wash and halve the baby plum tomatoes and warm the olive oil in a heavy-based pan. Add the tomatoes, season with salt, and allow to stew gently.
3. Pass the tomatoes through a sieve and then blitz the sauce with a hand blender to emulsify. Season to taste and set aside
4. Peel the potatoes using a small sharp knife and pass the flesh through a potato ricer.
5. Sift together the flour and salt, then sprinkle half over the potato. Drizzle over the egg yolk, then scatter over the remaining flour. Use a metal dough scraper to cut and mix the ingredients.
6. When the dough is evenly blended, knead briefly by hand before dividing into 4 portions.
7. Roll one of the dough portions out into a long sausage, measuring around 1.5cm in thickness. Cut into 1cm long pieces before rolling each piece into a ball. Form grooves onto each gnocchi.
8. Place the finished gnocchi onto a tray dusted with semolina to prevent sticking.
9. To cook the gnocchi, bring a large pan of water to a boil and add a heaped tablespoon of salt. Add the gnocchi, stirring the water as you go. When the gnocchi floats to the surface, cook for 1 more minute before removing with a slotted spoon.
10. Transfer the gnocchi into a hot pan with a good dash of olive oil and cook to achieve an evenly golden-brown finish. Gently reheat the sauce in a separate pan and stir in the gnocchi and spinach.
11. Shred the basil leaves, add to the gnocchi, and season to taste. Divide the gnocchi between bowls, then add the mozzarella and toasted pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Buy AUTHENTIC ITALIAN FOOD INGREDIENTS with us.
Contact us at email@example.com or call +91 9811392313 for more information.
By placing an order through this email, you will benefit from a 10% discount on the products' MRP. If you are a member of the IICCI and/or of the IICCI's Italics Wine Clubs in India, you will be eligible for a 25% discount!