Updated: Aug 26, 2021
This quick and easy 5-Ingredient Pasta Pomodoro Sauce is the perfect combination of sweet, ripe tomatoes, fresh herbs, and rich Italian Extra Virgin olive oil. It's a simple, delicious, and family-friendly way to dress up your next spaghetti dinner!
WHAT IS POMODORO SAUCE?
"Pomodoro" means "tomato" in Italian, and that's exactly what this is -- a fresh tomato sauce. I can't think of a better way to take advantage of summer's produce!
Since there are so few ingredients in this recipe, you'll want to use the finest Italian imported products that you can get your hands on. You want the best when all you taste is fresh tomatoes, herbs, and extra virgin olive oil!
5 KEY INGREDIENTS FOR THE PERFECT PASTA POMODORO SAUCE
● Fresh tomatoes (You can use peeled Italian tomatoes) - Buy them HERE
● Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Buy it HERE
● Fresh herbs (such as basil, oregano, and parsley)
Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 45 minutes Total Time 55 minutes
● 1 ½ lb. fresh tomatoes
● ½ cup extra virgin olive oil imported from Italy
● ¼ cup finely diced onion
● 2 cloves garlic, minced
● 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as a combination of basil, oregano, and parsley)
● Salt and pepper to taste
● For serving: cooked Italian pasta; Parmigiano-Reggiano PDO cheese
● Quarter the tomatoes and use your fingers to quickly scoop out most of the seeds. It helps to run the tomato under cold water to get any extra seeds out, and don’t worry – you don’t have to be meticulous about it. This should only take a few minutes!
Puree tomatoes in a food processor. Transfer to a strainer and set aside to strain excess liquid.
● Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Be sure to stir the garlic and onion constantly so that the garlic doesn’t burn.
● Add the strained tomatoes and the fresh herbs and bring to a boil.
● Reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Depending on the sweetness of your tomatoes, you may need to add a dash of sugar too, to taste.
● Serve over pasta and garnish with cheese and additional fresh herbs.
By placing an order of Authentic Italian food Ingredients through the IICCI, you will benefit from a 10% discount on the products' MRP. If you are a member of the IICCI and/or of the IICCI's Italics Wine Clubs in India, you will be eligible for a 25% discount!
Please tell us the products you want to order and their quantity by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +91 9811392313
Credit: the seasoned mom